Q & A

+ Testing

Where do I go to get tested for HIV?

There are many resources that offer HIV testing. We recommend you check our list of participating providers as your starting point.


+ Case Management

What is a case management and why should I have a case manager?

Case management includes a range of client-centered services that links you with primary medical care, mental and social services. Your case manager helps ensure you receive timely, coordinated access to health and support services. Get connected to an organization that offers case management.


+ Ryan White Act

Who is eligible to receive Ryan White Act services?

People Living with HIV (PLWH) and their families may be eligible if they have proof of HIV status from a physician and if they qualify for services through health care and service agencies that receive Ryan White Act funds. Various factors are considered including income level, individual need and availability of other sources of funding. To determine whether a person or family is eligible for Ryan White Act services, you can ask any provider that is currently funded through the Act.


 + Medication

Have the new treatment drugs cured those who take them?

No, there is no cure for HIV/AIDS. But the good news is, most of those who take the advanced drug therapies have reduced the amount of virus in their system and are able to effectively manage HIV as a chronic disease. Learn more about medication.

What new drug therapies and medical treatments are available for HIV/AIDS?

There are many infectious disease physicians who treat HIV disease as a specialty. Anyone infected with HIV should seek the care of a specialist because the treatment opportunities are changing rapidly and are very complex. To stay on top of the treatments that are emerging, a physician needs special training and extensive current experience in treating HIV disease.

Specialty care is available through private practice physicians, some of whom take private as well as Medicaid insurance. Publicly funded specialty care is also available through AIDS outpatient clinics at Denver Health, University Hospital and Children’s Hospital in Denver. Each of these clinics receives Ryan White Act funds to cover medical expenses and drug treatments for people living with HIV disease who have no other source of payment.
Contact an HIV specialist/clinic to learn more.

Where can I find information on HIV/AIDS related Clinical Trials?

Several sources of information are available:

NIH (National Institutes of Health), Bethesda, MD
University of Colorado Hospital, Denver, CO
The Body, the Complete HIV/AIDS Resource


+ Housing

What programs are available to help people with HIV/AIDS (PLWA) with their housing needs?

The primary source of support for PLWAs in finding and maintaining adequate housing is the HOPWA (Housing for Persons Living With AIDS) program. HOPWA funds come from the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

HOPWA funds in the Denver metropolitan area are used for three main purposes:
• direct rental assistance
• development of permanent housing units dedicated for use by people who are HIV+
• housing advocacy

Direct rental assistance is the most widely used housing service for PLWAs. Rental Assistance is distributed by the Colorado AIDS Project. Clients may apply for these funds through their HIV social worker at area hospitals/clinics or through Ryan White funded service providers.

Learn more about the HOPWA program in Colorado or find help with your specific housing needs.

How does a person living with HIV/AIDS (PLWA) qualify for direct rental assistance?

Direct rental assistance is available to those who meet federal guidelines for assistance. To be eligible for this program, you must be a PLWA with an annual household income of no more than 80% of the median income for comparably sized households in the Denver area.

If you receive Housing Opportunities for People with AIDS (HOPWA) rental assistance, you will pay no more than the higher of:
• 30% of your adjusted household income
• 10% of your gross income
• a housing allowance as designated by a public welfare agency

A person may receive assistance for up to 21 weeks. Any person receiving rental assistance must be in a housing unit that charges at or below the Fair Market Rent (FMR) schedule, as set forth by HUD.

Learn more about the HOPWA program in Colorado or find help with your specific housing needs.


+ HIV in Denver

How many people in Denver are infected with HIV disease? 

About 7,000 people are currently reported to be living with HIV in the Denver area. This includes over 4,000 with HIV and about 3,000 with AIDS (an advanced stage of HIV disease).


+ Financial Help for Health Care

How do I get help paying for my health care, when I DON’T have health insurance?

The Colorado Indigent Care Program (CICP) distributes federal and State funds to partially compensate qualified health care providers for uncompensated costs associated with services rendered to the indigent population. Qualified health care providers who receive this funding deliver discounted health care services to Colorado residents, migrant workers and legal immigrants with limited financial resources who are uninsured or underinsured and not eligible for benefits under the Medicaid Program or the Children's Basic Health Plan.

A case manager can help you understand all of your options. Learn more about CICP or view a list of Colorado CICP providers.

How do I get help paying for my health care, when I DO have health insurance?

There are several options available, depending on what you need and the specifics of your situation. Contact one of the providers listed on this web site for more information.


+ Legal Help

Where can I find help with legal issues?

Check our additional resources page for organizations available to help you with legal concerns.